Cheap Spanair Flights (JK)


Spanair was founded as a charter airline company with the fundamental principle of providing all its passengers with quality service and safety in air transport. After more than 20 years, the company is very proud of having achieved the one of the two leading airlines position in Spain not only in number of passengers but also as the first alternative in Barcelona airport.

The company aims to offer a high level of safety, punctuality, comfort and excellence in every aspect of its service. Spanair is proud to be the first Spanish airline with an ISO 9001:2000 certified Corporate Quality Program and IOSA (IATA Operational Safety Audit) certification. Spanair offers about 250 daily flights with a fleet of 48 aircraft and 2.900 employees. The company aims to be the first choice for both business and leisure travellers.

In 1998, Spanair began its operations transporting 454.624 passengers, with a total revenue of 36 million Euros. In February 1994 Spanair began its domestic scheduled operation and its ground personnel service system. At present, 87% of the company’s flights are scheduled, while the remaining 13% are split between Charter and other operations. In November 1997 Spanair inaugurated its first scheduled flights to intercontinental markets with the route Madrid-Washington Dallas, which was followed with flights from Madrid to Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires and Havana. At present, Spanair still offers intercontinental flights in code share with many prestigious airlines members of Star Alliance.

In 2002 Spanair became a member of the SAS Group (Scandinavian Airlines) and 2003 a full member of the Star Alliance network, the largest alliance in the world. In January 2009 Iniciatives Empresarials Aeronàutiques (IEASA) acquired 81, 1% of Spanair share capital from SAS Group, which currently holds the other 19.9%.

Spanair is the first full service airline in Barcelona. It holds 19% of the Spanish market, equivalent to 10.2 million passengers in last year. It currently operates over 226 scheduled daily flights (1,593 weekly) and 22 charter flights (about 156 per week): 91% scheduled flights (67 domestic routes and 6 to cities across Europe and Africa) and the remaining 9% as charter.

Spanair strictly complies with all safety regulations by the Spanish Civil Aviation Authority, the European Union, the ICAO and aircraft manufacturers. Furthermore Spanair was the first Spanish airline to receive the IOSA certificate (IATA Operational Safety Audit), developed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) in 2005 and renewed it in 2007.

The company introduced, Spanair (times 4) in March 2008 to increase service flexibility and simplify its offer into four classes: Business, Avant, Economy Plus and Economy.

Since 2001, Spanair is the only Spanish airline to offer a punctuality guarantee commitment in all domestic routes, in line with the idea of ensuring the highest quality service to all its passengers both in-flight and on the ground. Spanair achieved 82.02% punctuality in 2008, rating Spanair as one of the top three airlines in Spain in punctuality and quality of service. This commitment to quality has been rewarded with the Alpha Award for Excellence in Marketing, which recognises the efforts of the company towards customer service.

Facts & Figures:
  • Number of aircraft: 48
  • Number of employees: 2,900
  • Passengers per year: 10.20 million
  • Sales Revenue (in US$): 1.54 billion
  • Number of scheduled destinations: 27
  • Frequent flyer programme: Spanair Plus
  • Hubs: Barcelona, Madrid
Financially troubled during its last few years, Spanair ended operations on 27 January 2012, after Qatar Airways pulled out of talks to inject cash into the airline. Ana Pastor, the development minister of Spain, said that the Spanish government may fine the airline 9 million euros ($12 million USD) after breaking serious aviation security rules by shutting down without proper notice. As a result, SAS had a write-down of 1.7 billion Swedish kronor ($251 million U.S.). The carrier said all flights will remain suspended, but it did not say whether it planned to file for bankruptcy.

The last passenger flight was JK1326 from Trondheim to Las Palmas.

General information

News Source:
News and Events
Baggage Info:

Spanair Flights and Other Cheap Airlines:

My Trip

My Password Reset

To reset your password, please enter your email address below. An email containing further instructions will be immediately sent to the email address associated with your account.

To top